Monday, January 09, 2006

January 23 - A New Hope? Or Revenge of the Sith?

"America is our Neighbour, NOT our Nation!"
~Paul Martin, Janauary 9,2006 Leadership Debate
Oh my freaking god, I'm actually quoting Paul Martin?! Crap.
I watched the debate tonight with fear and trepidation. It's no question that the Liberals, with all their back room deals and corrupt, slimy officials, have squandered whatever right they had to try and lead the country.
But Harper? Mr. Calm and Smiley and Wanting-Nothing-More-Than-To-Make-The-People-Happy? I'm sorry, but isn't he behaving much like Senator Palpatine in Episode II??? Only wanting the best... only wanting to save the nation (federation) by ending corruption (trade wars)?
Do Mr. and Ms. Average Canadian not realize that he thinks Bush is taking the US in the RIGHT direction??? (Pun intended) Does no one remember that he was/is a right-winger in the same way that Bush/Cheney and far right fundies are right-wingers??
And the Conservatives are ahead - really ahead - in the polls.
I'm getting a migraine.
I'm middle aged, middle class, and married. Just the type of Canadian that should love Harper, don'tcha think?? Unfortunately - I'm a lesbian, married to a woman. According to Harper and the Conservatives, my marriage is a threat to the very fabric of our country. I'm a second class citizen, undeserving of the same rights and protections as everyone else. How am I supposed to deal with that?
Enough about Harper.
I want to be optimistic. I want to believe that Canadians are researching each candidate's background, and not taking the rhetoric at face value. I want to believe that the NDP will actually make a decent showing on the 23rd.
But Jack was unfocused and stiff tonight. Paul was panicked and desperate. And Stephen? Stephen was eerily like Palpatine....

No comments: