Sunday, January 15, 2006

Does Wookiee Need a Website?



This is Wookiee, the newest member of our pack. He's a Pomchi and in this pic is only 4 month old. Just the right age to be getting his own website, don'tcha think?

That's exactly what is happening according to an article in today's New York Times. Parents are apparently buying up domain names for their infant (and sometimes unborn) children "before all the good names are taken." (See the URL http://tinyurl.com/78v4y for the full article.)

Good grief. My first reaction is that this is an egocentric example of the belly button gazing that preoccupies so many North Americans these days.

My second reaction, that I'm loath to admit - is that it's kind of cool... What if an internet presence is as necessary in 20 years as a phone number? And what if I don't have one? Never mind that I don't know anything about web page design. That I'm chuffed right now because I've figured out enough to add links (with pics, no less!) to my sidebar...

So I'm torn. What do you think? Does Wookiee need a website?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this new space. Maybe I will me a blogger site. Anyway... I like this. I hope I dont lose in the midst of the blog world. I like your musing each day, So please come back to us, and visit.

CQ

Anonymous said...

Dayyummm, he's a cute little tyke isn't he?

Xena said...

Speaking as Wookiee's sister, I can say...NO! He DOESN'T need a website! The lil bugger is spoiled enough! Enough, I say!

People should be worshipping me...the horse! Not that little pip squeak. I mean, if the car broke down could you ride to work on his back? I thought not... His own web site. Hrrrrumph!

Argo the Wonder Horse (a.k.a. Wookiee's sister)

Anonymous said...

In a perverse kind of way (which is usually how I approach things anyway), I rather like the idea of parents snatching up URLs for their kids and expected kids.

Not because of the URLs themselves, but rather from the likelihood that it will cause these rather overwrought people to come up with longer and odder names for their kids as the common names get snatched up.

I'm only joking, of course. I would not wish it upon any child to go through life with a name like what-were-my-vain-parents-thinking-dot-com.

Anonymous said...

Soooo, sending your goons after me now, eh? Xena paid me a little visit! Now I've gotta watch my kneecaps. :) hehehe... J/K. You guys are real sweethearts.

Have a great day/week!

Anonymous said...

Apollo and Artemis say that if Wookiee gets a website, then they need one too. After all, everyone knows that cats are so much more deserving than cute little dogs....if one can call such a little ball of fluff a dog! I mean the bengals are so beautiful and angelic! (K says HAH!)